At a press conference, Venezuelan Communications Minister Jorge Rodríguez accused Brazil of participating in a Venezuelan barrack robbery Twitter / Reproduction
The Brazilian government on Monday denied involvement in the attack on a Venezuelan military unit on Sunday in response to accusations from the Chavist government.
“Brazil denies any involvement in the episode,” said Itamaraty, without giving further details.
Nicolás Maduro's government attributed the attack, which left a dead military man and six detainees, to opponents trained in “paramilitary camps” in Colombia and backed by authorities from Brazil and Peru. “They received the collaboration of the government of Jair Bolsonaro,” said Venezuelan Minister of Communication Jorge Rodríguez.
These criminals have been entered into fully identified paramilitary camps in Colombia, and have received the collaboration of the Gob de Jair Bolsonaro.
– Jorge Rodríguez (@jorgerpsuv) December 22, 2019
Without presenting any evidence, Rodríguez told state broadcaster VTV that governments in neighboring countries "use" military personnel who have defected from the Venezuelan Armed Forces "to sow violence, destruction and death." In addition, the minister accused opposition leaders Leopoldo López and Juan Guaidó of being behind the attack.
Several local newspapers reported earlier that the episode took place in Gran Sabana, one of the country's main tourist areas, in the Bolivar state, which borders Brazil.
Supported by a group of indigenous people, the attackers seized a military detachment and police station, carrying more than 100 rifles, according to the online portal El Pitazo.
(With EFE and AFP)